This week during the International Property Show, Diamond Developers announced plans for the first sustainable city in Dubai. After a 3-year planning phase, construction of Dubai Sustainable City will finally begin this year. Construction of Dubai Sustainable City is planned over 4 phases. According to the developers, the final phase is expected to be complete by 2016.
Location of Dubai Sustainable City
Dubai Sustainable City is being built on Al Qudra Road between Mohammed Bin Zayed Road/E311 (formerly Emirates Road) and Emirates Road/E611 (formerly known as Dubai Outer Bypass Road). Traveling from Dubai Sustainable City into the heart of Dubai is expected to take around 25-35 minutes.
Environmental Features of Dubai Sustainable City
Eco-friendly alternatives for energy, waste, building structures and landscape are all on plan for this unique community.
Some of the green features include:
- Waste and sewage water will be treated and recycled into irrigation water for landscaping
- A fully integrated waste treatment system
- Solar energy farm
- Biodome greenhouse
- Organic farms
- Solar panel covered parking areas
Community Development Features
Dubai Sustainable City aims to be sustainable not only in its environmental features but also in its community features. Everything from schools, shopping, leisure facilities and medical care will be available within the “city limits.”
Residents won’t need to venture too far for anything. Even if they need to go from one end of the community to another, residents can zip around in an electric golf cart!
Some major community features include:
- 500 3- and 4-bedroom villas and townhouses
- Kindergarten to Grade 6 School
- University specializing in environmental sciences
- A shopping mall
- Outdoor amphitheatre
- 143-room resort featuring environmentally-friendly products and organic foods
- Official Website for Diamond Developers – Dubai Sustainable City
- No service charges, utility bills in Dubai’s ‘Sustainable City’
- Dubai Sustainable City Project Starts in July
- Dubai Sustainable City to deliver first batch of units by end of 2014
- Dubai’s $272m sustainable city to complete by 2015
- Off-plan Sales for Dubai Sustainable City to Start in July